Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Road To Happiness


It seems I’ve always wondered about happiness.

Happiness and I were so unacquainted in my younger years that I firmly believed its portrayal in movies, books, articles, etc. was false, just a fairy tale tease. And all the messages about money and objects equalling happiness just never sat well.

I decided pretty early that getting and spending was an empty enticement. But whatever I read about happiness was just a bunch of opinions. In talking to other people, reading some more, and trying different ways of doing things, I asked myself the question If money and possessions are not the road to happiness and life satisfaction, what is?

Over the past 30 years I’ve pursued trial-and-error happiness with some hard-won success. Thankfully, a new focus on the study of happiness has recently developed. Happiness is all over the place these days: Time has done a whole cover section on happiness; googling the word happiness results in 63 million hits; books on the subject are coming out at a rapid pace.

I recently read an
article which addresses a key finding that there is only a slight correlation between income level, possessions, and happiness (I feel vindicated!).

The article lists some things that are conducive to happiness: realistic goals; self-esteem; optimism; an outgoing personality; a sense of control; close relationships; fit and healthy bodies; challenging work and active leisure; adequate rest; and a faith that entails communal support, purpose and acceptance.

A few thoughts occur to me as I ponder this one list from a single article. All of the areas mentioned are ripe for life-long exploration, learning, and expansion, and our levels of satisfaction or fulfillment in each fluctuates over time (even over the course of day or an hour!).

I know that by conscious choice I can enhance the possibility of higher levels of happiness in each of the areas. I’ve learned from personal experience that a focus on what matters can and does lead to greater happiness.

The truth is we can choose to be happier! in many small ways every day.

There is so much easily accessed information based on happiness research as well as the personal experience of other seekers. I’m excited at the groundswell of interest in such an important topic.

For a brief historical perspective:
Check out a review of the new book Happiness: A History, by Darrin M. McMahon



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home