Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

ClutterMind: The Unexamined Scourge

There is a blight on the land and in our minds. A relentless, eternally patient and everpresent interloper that saps the concentration of many. Most of us have experienced its symptoms: confusion; inability to focus; forgotten goals; the chaos of cluttered thinking. This master of mayhem I call ClutterMind.

It is a constant visitor in my life. It's the tendency to overwhelm myself with many details, commitments, doubts, judgements, etc. While I'm in this state I feel way less able to focus on what I know is best for me. Way less able to remember my goals let alone work towards them. It's as though the decisions I've made for myself, for my forward movement, for the realization of my desires, just fall by the wayside. I return to a state of helplessness, a place of confusion, where I have little or no sense of control.

My pal Elinor Warkentin, an organizer and clutter consultant, says on her website that clutter blocks us from moving forward, and that physical clutter is often a manifestation of mental clutter. I think Elinor is as much a counsellor as she is a clutter consultant. And I think she's right.

My mental state manifests in the physical world. The more I experience ClutterMind, the less likely I am to maintain orderly surroundings. When I suffer from ClutterMind I am less likely to have order in my physical world. I'm less able to concentrate, make decisions, stay organized, establish priorities, and work toward goals. Chuck Gallozzi talks about this in a recent article that deals with the effects of mental and physical clutter.

Knowing the dynamics helps, but changing is a challenge. Sometimes I'm able to stop and realize that I need to focus on just one thing of importance. When I've accomplished even one simple task I'm more able to change the muddle to mindfulness. And although the concept of a house full of undone to-do lists strikes me as a potential liability (not to mention being the fodder of stand-up comics), making the odd list and crossing off as I go seems to help me focus.

I seem to exist on a continuum, with some control over where I am at any given moment. But it's hard to be present enough, intentional enough, to choose my spot within the range of available possibilities.

I'm getting better at recognizing how Cluttermind feels in action. This gives me more chances to choose differently, and the more I practice the better I get at conscious choice. Plus, it becomes more likely I'll continue adding to the amount of time I'm able to function in a clearer frame of mind.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home