Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Imperfect World

I read an article recently about how we can get in our own way with unrealistic expectations about the world.

My favourite unrealistic expectation is that everyone should see things the way I do. It's quite simple really. If everyone would just realize that I've given it (whatever 'it' is in the particular circumstance) some thought and therefore have come to the one and only correct conclusion, the world would be much better place. I can't help wondering how much of this attitude comes from the privilege I've learned to take for granted simply for being born male.

Wherever it comes from, this attitude, this approach, creates competitive struggle rather than collaborative effort. It feels so much better when a question or issue is resolved cooperatively. I know, I know: that's so messy, and difficult, and time-consuming. But it's also messy, difficult, and time-consuming to deal with the aftermath of people not heard, of ideas not considered, of outcomes lessened by a dearth of options.

And yet, my default behaviour is about attempting to convince others of the rightness of my process. The certainty that I have the best (or only) answer.

Again, confirmation that the learning never stops. What a blessing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home