Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Sunday, November 26, 2006

An Early Snow

Woke up this morning to an inch of snow with about four more in the forecast. Reminds me of how much my attitude has changed towards the unexpected in my life.

For a long time when something got in the way of what I expected I'd get all grumpy and dissatisfied. For a long time I was able to recognize how silly that reaction was but remained unable to change it. And then I had an epiphany.

I'd been managing a small pizza business that had been allowed to deteriorate before I took over. Long hours and much work took up all my energy and focus and I'd not allowed myself permission to take care of myself. After many weeks with no days off, and just when I felt like I was getting close to having the place running well again, I arrived one morning to find that the restaurant had been broken into overnight. Fridges were emptied onto the floor, tables were overturned, the front window and door were smashed, food and beverages littered every surface. Talk about the unexpected (and extremely unwelcome!)

After doing the reporting-of-a-crime dance with the police, having the window and door boarded up, and arranging for their replacement, I locked up and called a friend. We spent an amazing day playing frisbee and then hanging out at the fairgrounds. We rode the roller coaster a bunch of times and talked about the breakin and how I hadn't been paying enough attention to what I most needed. The breakin forced me to look at how hard I had been working, how driven I felt, and how much I had ignored my needs beyond the immediate task I had with the restaurant. I began to see my morning as a huge reminder. I was able to get back on track, include my needs into the mix, remember how important friends and human contact are, and get some valuable perspective that remains with me today.


The sudden, early snow has brought other options to the fore. I now seek comfort indoors (although we will likely go for a walk in the gently falling flakes) and I get to remember how blessed I am to have comfortable shelter, good friends, a variety of choices, and to live in a city that gives me snow occasionally as a pristine counterpoint to the usual weather we have. How could I possibly be grumpy or dissatisfied with such richness? What can be perceived as an impediment can also be seen as a catalyst, a reminder, and a blessing. Everything is, to some degree, what we decide it is!

So- gratitude for snow and breakins and friends and choice and...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home