Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Just Ask!

It totally amazes me how often I get what I want when I simply ask. And how often I choose not to ask for what I need or want out of fear or embarrassment or a sense of unworthiness.

I think that part of saying yes to life involves expressing our needs in order for them to be met, if possible. Let me be clear that I'm not advocating a demanding stance, or manipulation for the purposes of cajoling or pressuring others to bend to my will. I'm simply suggesting that we say what we want, clearly and honestly, and with an open heart. It's astounding how often such requests are answered positively.

And yet fear intrudes, or social restraints against being greedy, or needy, or rude. I think that one of the greatest things we can do as human beings is to be honest and open to others about our needs. It feels risky because the response may not be what we hope, but in risking the unknown we open ourselves to opportunities that otherwise may never be available to us. And in opening to others we invite reciprocation, which creates connection, and the comfort of mutual support and understanding.

All this and more by just asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home