Visit The Happiness Guy.com

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Alone But Not Lonely

I have a strange feeling of shame when I tell people I need to be alone. Like they're going to judge me as being unconnected to others, or that I'm anti-social or something.

The thing is, I need time alone. Some of my richest moments are spent with myself. It gives me space to recharge, to process events, to calmly go within and remember my purpose, and to revisit my centre where I know absolutely who I am and why I'm here. The busy-ness, demands, and distractions of living sometimes take me from these things and I value the reminding. It helps me be the best person I can be.

And still...it's hard to say, "Sorry, but no, I need to be alone today." Strange how I've learned to feel awkward about doing something that is so life-enriching. And that sometimes I choose to be with others while avoiding what I need the most right then.

Note to self: being alone is definitely not about being lonely or anti-social, and spending time with myself is time well spent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home